Captain Josiah Cowles was one of the earliest settlers of Southington. Born in Farmington in 1713, he settled in Plantsville around 1740, serving as a justice of the peace and a captain in the local militia. In 1774, he served on a committee to collect supplies for the relief of the people of Boston. He died in 1793 and is buried in Quinnipiac Cemetery. His house, at 184 Marion Avenue in Plantsville in Southington, was most likely built around 1750, two years after Capt. Cowles married his second wife. The house, which is now a bed & breakfast, has a large rear addition dating to 1988.
Colonial, Houses, Southington
Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.