Center School House, Durham (1775)

March 22nd, 2012 Posted in Colonial, Durham, Schools

At Town House Road and Maple Avenue in Durham is the old Center School House, built in 1775. The town’s first school house, built in 1722, had stood on the same site. It may not have served as a school after the 1830s, when new district schools were erected. Now home to the Durham Historical Society, the second floor of the building is being renovated for meeting and exhibit gallery space.

Share Button
  1. One Response to “Center School House, Durham (1775)”

  2. By Sarah on Oct 17, 2012

    Hi there! The schoolhouse was actually used until 1923. After that, all students were consolidated into what is now the Strong School on Main Street. All district schools were shut down and used for other purposes, or were eventually torn down.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.