The Library Journal, Vol. 31, No. 10 (October 1906), reported that:
The library recently built at a cost of $4000 by Mr. H. W. Sadd, of Wapping, Ct., as a memorial to the Sadd family, one of the first to settle in “Wapping parish,” a part of the town of South Windsor, was dedicated on Sept. 19. [...] The library is built of blocks of cement, made in the cellar from sand dug from a hillside near by, is well lighted and spacious, heated by a furnace and well equipped for the needs of the neighborhood for years to come. The town of South Windsor voted in 1898 to establish and maintain a public library, which was kept in the basement of the Baptist church until lately, when it was moved to a room in the large new school-house. The Wapping Library is a very flourishing and successful branch, receiving books from the main library, which are changed every few months. A Chautauqua circle, which has existed for a long time, has been a most valuable and stimulating influence in creating a desire for a library.
In the 1960s, the Wapping Library collection was moved from the Sadd Memorial Library building to a shopping center storefront and consolidated with books from the Wood Memorial Library. These were moved in 1979 to the current South Windsor Public Library. The old Wapping library building now houses offices.
The Church in Wapping, a section of South Windsor, was built in 1801 and initially served several denominations. The Baptists and Methodists later founded their own churches, so that by 1817, only the Congregationalists remained. They eventually organized as the Second Congregational Church in South Windsor in 1830. The Congregationalists later merged with the Methodists to found the Wapping Federated Church, which became the Wapping Community Church in 1936. The original appearance of the church is not known. It was altered to its current Greek Revival style in 1849.
Abner Reed was a printmaker, engraver, publisher and author and Deacon of the Congregational Church in East Windsor Hill (now in South Windsor). John Warner Barber, a well-known artist and author, studied with Reed at his engraving shop in East Windsor before moving to New Haven. Abner Reed’s house, built in 1750, is on Main Street in South Windsor.
The house of Moses Loomis, Jr. was built around 1725 on old Main Street in East Windsor Hill (now South Windsor). Moses Loomis, Jr., the son of Moses Loomis and Joanna Gibbs, was born in East Windsor Hill in 1696. His house in East Windsor Hill was built the year he married his first wife, Rebecca, in Harwinton. She died the following year and, in 1729, he married Elizabeth Bidwell. Moses and Elizabeth both died in 1761. He is buried in Edwards Cemetery in South Windsor
Aaron Chapin became a notable maker of furniture in the late eighteenth century. He was a second cousin of the famous East Windsor cabinetmaker, Eliphalet Chapin and worked in his cousin’s shop between 1774 and 1783. Chapin built his house in East Windsor Hill (now in South Windsor) in 1779, just south of his cousin’s home. Aaron Chapin later established a large shop in Hartford, which was the area’s leading cabinetmaking establishment in the first decade of the nineteenth century, being particularly dominant in the production of Federal-style sideboards.
With this post, Historic Buildings of Connecticut celebrates its second anniversary! That’s two years of daily entries of historic buildings! There are many more to do (that’s an understatement!), so please keep reading!!! For our Second Birthday Post, the featured building is the Jacob and Abigail Strong House (also known in the past as the David Strong House) in East Windsor Hill (South Windsor). This is an early “First Period” or Post-Medieval English home, built in 1698. Originally the home of Jacob Strong and his wife, Abigail Bissell, the house is now the residence of Edward Sunderland of Sunderland Period Homes.
Rev. Levi Smith of New Milford was the minister of the First Church in South Windsor from 1840 to 1849, the period during which the current church building was constructed. At that time he lived in a house on Old Main Street in East Windsor Hill which is no longer standing. In 1853, he moved into a Greek Revival house down the street which he intended to be his retirement home, but died nine months later (in 1854). Rev. Smith was a supporter of the Theological Seminary, located at that time near his home and later moved to Hartford. He founded two annual scholarships and left his library to the Seminary.