The house at 208 Broad Street in Windsor was built in 1822 for Colonel James Loomis (1779-1862). Built of bricks manufactured by the Mack Brick Company in Windsor, it was once one of a number of residences that once stood on Broad Street across from Broad Street Green. A descendant of Joseph Loomis, who settled in Windsor in 1639, Col. Loomis was the proprietor of the village store, which stood just south of his house. His wife, Abigail Sherwood Chaffee Loomis (1798-1868), inherited Nancy Toney (1774-1857), Connecticut’s last enslaved person, in 1821. The children of James and Abigail would found what is now the Loomis Chaffee School. The house remained a residence until 1970, when it was converted into a bank.
Among the numerous brick houses built in Windsor in the early nineteenth century is the Quartus Bedortha House at 54 Poquonock Avenue. It was built by Quartus Bedortha in 1835. He was born in Agawam, Mass. on February 21 1808, married Ruth Loomis on February 28, 1832 (they had two children) and died on August 4, 1879.
The house at 256 Palisado Avenue in Windsor was built in 1767 for Elijah Mather, Sr. (1743-1796). The house has a hipped roof and an impressive classical entry with entablature that is probably original.
The Loomis School in Windsor, later to become Loomis-Chaffee, was founded by five Loomis siblings who had all lost their own children. In the 1910s, the firm of Murphy & Dana of New York created a plan for the school‘s campus that would feature a symmetrical quadrangle and covered walkways, reminiscent of Thomas Jefferson’s plan for the University of Virginia. Anchoring the quadrangle is the centerpiece of the Georgian Revival-style campus: Founders Hall, completed in 1916. The building, which originally contained the school’s entire academic program, also houses Founders Chapel.
The mid-nineteenth century house at 736 Palisado Avenue in Windsor is a good example of the French Second Empire style, including a mansard roof. The exact date of construction (perhaps around 1865?) and the original owner of the house are unknown; the earliest known owner is John Kelley in 1885.
The oldest house in Windsor is the Loomis Homestead, located on the campus of Loomis Chaffee school. The oldest part of the house is now the south ell, built by Joseph Loomis in 1640. His son, Deacon John Loomis built the main section in 1788. In the 1870s, planning began for what would become Loomis Chaffee, established by five Loomis siblings, children of Colonel James Loomis and Abigail Sherwood Chaffee, who had all lost their own children. The school’s first buildings, completed in 1913-1916, were designed to match the axis of the Loomis Homestead, several degrees off of true north. The old house itself remained in the Loomis family until Miss Jennie Loomis deeded it to the Loomis Institute in 1901. She continued to reside in the house until her death, in 1944. Then it became a residence for a member of the Loomis Chaffee School faculty and continues as a museum and memorial to the Loomis family.