The gatehouse with two towers of Osborn Memorial Laboratories at Yale University recall the now lost Alumni Hall, designed by A. J. Davis and built in 1853, which had been demolished in 1911. Designed by Charles C. Haight, the Osborn Memorial Laboratories were built in 1913 to be the home for the study of biology at Yale and originally housed both the zoology and botany departments (one in each wing of the building).
Part of the Arnold Bernhard Arts and Humanities Center at the University of Bridgeport is an interesting ovoid structure (pictured above). The building was constructed in 1969-1972 to showcase performing arts events and visual art exhibitions. To the right (only part of which is visible in the image above) is the building’s nine-floor structure, which houses the university’s arts and humanities departments. The building was recently renovated.
Woolsey Hall in New Haven was built in 1901 for the commemoration of Yale’s bicentennial. A concert hall, it can seat 2,691. Built as one of a group of bicentennial buildings, its architects were Carrère and Hastings, designers of the New York Public Library. Woolsey Hall‘s murals that represent the ideal of a classical education and include images of the Nine Muses and the goddess Athena. The hall is home to the Newberry Memorial Organ, one of the largest in the world.
Trumbull College, one of Yale University’s residential colleges, was named for Connecticut Governor Jonathan Trumbull. The building‘s Gothic architecture, by James Gamble Rogers, matches well with his design for neighboring Sterling Library. Rogers, who designed eight of Yale’s twelve residential collages, considered Trumbull College, modeled after King’s College, Cambridge, to be his masterpiece.
Designed by James Gamble Rogers, the Hall of Graduate Studies at Yale University in New Haven was built in 1930-1932. The central tower contains graduate student residences, while the surrounding buildings are home to the administrative offices of the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, several academic departments, the McDougal Graduate Student Center, classrooms and a dining hall.
Durfee Hall on Yale University’s Old Campus was built in 1870-1871. Designed by Russell Sturgis, it was Yale’s first dormitory built of stone. Constructed as a memorial for Bradford M. C. Durfee of Fall River, Mass., the building is now used to house first-year students of Morse College.
The Chi Psi fraternity established a chapter at Wesleyan in 1844. Their new fraternity house, built in 1904, was designed in the Colonial Revival style by Raymond F. Almirall, of Brooklyn, NY. It was destroyed in a fire in 1912 and was replaced by a new building, completed in 1927. Wesleyan acquired the property in the 1970s and it continued as a fraternity house until the University converted it into a residence hall around 2002. According to the University, “200 Church Street was established as housing for students who wish to build a safe, self-affirming, energetic, and close-knit community that focuses on social justice and diversity.”