At 85 Boston Street in Guilford is a colonial saltbox house, believed to have been built around 1735 by Thomas Burgis, Sr. for his eldest son. Thomas Sr. was a shoemaker and tanner, originally from Yorkshire, who exported shoes from Guilford to the West Indies. In 1735, Thomas Burgis, Jr. married Hannah Dodd. Their son, Thomas III, graduated from Yale in 1758 and for a time was schoolmaster in North Guilford. He married Olive Dudley in 1769 and lived in the house for many years. It remained in the Burgis family until 1844. The house acquired its saltbox form around 1800, when a rear lean-to was added. The house also has a later Federal-style doorway. Restoration of the house began in 1956, when it was purchased by Helen Pigott. Additional work has been done by its present owners.
Abraham Coan, a Guilford builder-architect, built his house at 29 Broad Street on the foundation of the earlier Chittenden House. Its design was influenced by the work of builder-architect Peter Banner, who was designing the house of Yale’s president and other buildings on the Yale campus at the time. Banner later designed the Park Street Church in Boston. Coan had a joiner’s shop near his home. The house was purchased by Simon Chittenden in 1857 and named “Mapleside.” The entrance was then moved from the front to the west side of the house.
The former Boston Street School, at 103 Boston Street in Guilford was constructed in 1905-1906. It was designed by architect Charles A Willard. The builder was George W. Seward. The hip-roofed building’s trim and stickwork were originally painted a different color which made them stand out more. There was also a different gable-roofed front porch which has since been removed. By the 1940s the school had closed, although it reopened briefly when local schools became crowded after World War II. It was later the office of architect Victor Lundy and in 1984-1985 was converted into three condominiums.
The Nathaniel Johnson House is a large saltbox house with a later Greek Revival doorway. Built in 1730, it is located at 58 Fair Street in Guilford. The leading Episcopalian in town, Johnson helped to establish Christ Church in Guilford. He was the brother of Samuel Johnson, an Anglican clergyman and the first president of King’s College (later Columbia) in New York.
The Guilford Free Library, at 67 Park Street in Guilford, was built in 1933 on land donated by Frederick Spencer (he had originally bought the land, which was near his home, in order to move a feed, grain and coal store from the property because the noise was bothering his wife!). Architect Archer Quick designed the Colonial Revival building to fit in with the historic architecture of the neighborhood. Many residents objected to a plan to replace it with a modern building in the 1970s. An addition was later built, designed by Gilbert Switzer and John Matthew of New Haven. The entrance to the library was moved to the addition and the front stairs and door of the original building were replaced with a large window and balcony.
Joel Tuttle II was a state senator probate judge. In 1852, he moved a smaller house to the west side of his property in Guilford to make way for his new Italianate house at 88 Broad Street. It was erected in 1852 by builder Baldwin C. Dudley. Tuttle married Lucy Sage of Cromwell. They had one son. After her husband’s death, Lucy Sage Tuttle lived in the house with her sister, Clara I. Sage. Outliving her sister and nephew, Clara Sage inherited the house. She donated an organ to the First Congregational Church of Guilford in 1908 in memory of her nephew, Willie Sage Tuttle. She also helped to establish the Guilford Free Library. After her death, the house was owned by Robert T. Spencer, who died in 1935.
The Federal-style house at 37 Park Street in Guilford was constructed in 1805 by builder Abraham Coan for Heli Hoadley and his wife, Mabel Ann Seward. Hoadley soon moved to New Haven. As described in The Hoadley Genealogy (1894) by Francis Bacon Trowbridge:
Heli Hoadley resided in New Haven, Conn., and carried on the business of making trucks, carts, wheelbarrows, etc. His shop was situated on State street on the homestead lot, where Osborne street has since been cut through. After his wife’s death he gave up his flourishing business, and the property was sold and divided between the children. He died at his son John’s in North Haven and was buried in the Grove Street cemetery in New Haven.
The house was then owned by the Reverend Aaron Dutton, who was minister at the First Congregational Church of Guilford from 1806 to 1842. He resigned because of dissension in the church concerning his abolitionist views, which his congregation deemed too radical. The house was also once home to Charles Hubbard, a writer, teacher and artist. Hubbard referred to his third floor studio as Hobgoblin Hall.