East Hartford has an octagon house on Naubuc Avenue. According to one source, it was built in 1852 for Rev. Benjamin C. Phelps, the minister at Hockanum Methodist Church. According to another source, the house was built in 1858 for the Curtis family and was owned, after 1867, by the Hollister family.
The Leete-Griswold House, on Fair Street (formerly Petticoat Lane) in Guilford, was built by Edwin A. Leete in 1856. The house is in the Octagon style, although it no longer has its original overhanging eaves with decorative brackets. Leete had grown up in the Pelatiah Leete III House on Leetes Island in Guilford. He only lived in his octagon house a short time before moving to a larger house nearby. Read the rest of this entry »
Danbury‘s Octagon House was built in 1853 by John T. Earle and remained in the Earle family in 1918. Today, it is located at 21 Spring Street, but when it was constructed, Spring Street did not yet exist, so the house‘s original address was on Elm Street. The house, still encircled by a three story porch, is now an apartment building.
Albert G. Stark, a businessman who owned a general store, built an Octagon house on West Mystic Avenue in 1850, adjacent to the home of his brother, the ship captain, Henry S. Stark. Albert died at age 29 and his widow remained in the house and eventually remarried.
One of Connecticut’s few examples of an Octagon house (which was popularized by Orson Squire Fowler in the 1850s) is in the Yalesville section of Wallingford. The house, located at 31 New Place Street (and one of two on the street) was built around 1857. (Edits to this entry are in bold).
Built on Prospect Hill Road in Cromwell in 1854, the Ebenezer W. Beckwith House is one of very few Octagon houses in Connecticut. The house served as a residence and boarding school, which by 1866 was known as the Mineral Springs Military Institute. Later, the house was rented by Dr. Winthrop B. Hallock as a retreat for the insane. In 1887, Hallock purchased the house from Beckwith’s daughter and it became the main structure of the private sanitorium known as Cromwell Hall. After Cromwell Hall closed in the 1950s, the house became the administration building for Holy Apostles College and Seminary. Various additions have been added to the building over the years, including the porte-cochere.
The Joseph Williams House is one of two octagon houses which sit side-by-side on Marlborough Street in Portland. Following a similar design, both the Williams House and the neighboring Gilbert Stancliff House were built of brownstone, with a stucco-covered exterior, between 1853 and 1855. The octagon is an eight-sided house form popularized by Orson Squire Fowler in the mid-nineteenth century through his book, The Octagon House, A Home for All. Williams was a grocer and a brother-in-law of Stancliff, who was the superintendent at the Portland brownstone quarries. It is possible that Gilbert Stancliff’s brother Charles, an architect and builder, constructed both of the octagons. The brothers were descendants of James Stancliff, Portland’s first settler. Today, the Williams House serves as an apartment building.