The house at 16 Barry Road in the Quaker Farms section of Oxford was once thought to have been built as early as 1680, but a date of 1740 is now considered more likely. In the early nineteenth century the house was owned by the Tomlinson family. It was used in the mid-nineteenth century by Preston Hinman for his shoemaking business. Greatly deteriorated by the early twentieth century, Ralph B. Pomeroy purchased it in 1947, removed a later dormer window and undertook the house’s restoration to a colonial appearance.
Silas Hawkins built the house at 410 Quaker Farms Road in Oxford c. 1795. This may have been the Silas Hawkins who was born in 1756 and died in 1844. The dormer windows were added later. A barn is visible behind the house in the image above.
In 1714, John Twitchell (c. 1699-1739) built a small one-story with attic dwelling at what is now 90 Oxford Road in Oxford. Around 1741 the Washband (or Washburn) family purchased the property and enlarged the house to serve as a tavern. In 1784, coinciding with the opening of the Oxford Turnpike, the family enlarged the building again, adding what amounted to a new house attached to the old one. The Washband family operated the tavern for several generations. Before the Civil War, the tavern was a stop on the Underground Railroad. Hiding places are said to exist in the cellar. The former tavern is now home to Daoud & Associates.
Christ Church, an Episcopal church at 470 Quaker Farms Road in Oxford, was built in 1812 and was consecrated on September 3, 1817. It was designed by George Boult of Southford. Begun as a mission of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Oxford center, Christ Church became a separate parish in 1826. The church has a crystal chandelier that it received in 1881 as a gift from Trinity Church, Seymour, which itself had received it as a gift from St. Ann’s Church in Brooklyn, New York, where it originally hung. The steeple of Christ Church was rebuilt in 1968.
Known as the Hudson House, the house at 430 Oxford Road in Oxford was built c. 1814 by Timothy Candee, who also built a nearly identical house next door at 426 Oxford Road. A Revolutionary War veteran, Candee also built the nearby Congregational Church for the Ecclesiastical Society of Oxford. His brothers, Daniel and Job, built the Oxford Hotel on the other side of Oxford Road.