According to the sign on the house at 196-200 Thimble Islands Road in the Stony Creek section of Branford, the building was erected in 1819 by Levi Frisbie. The house has been much added to over the years, additions including an Italianate cupola. In the 1860s it was the home and tin shop of Martin Bishop.
Later known as the Branford Block, the Art Deco-style building at 221 Montowese Street in Branford was built c. 1925-1930 by Connecticut Light & Power Company. The terrazzo entry floor has a sunburst pattern with the letters “CL&P Co.”
In 1850, Joseph Nelson Linsley (born 1817) built the house at 138-146 (aka 156) Main Street in Branford on land given to him by his father, Joseph Linsley (1772-1859). Linsley also had a joiner’s shop on the property.
The house at 242-250 East Main Street in Branford is thought to have been built by John Tyler, Jr. around 1710-1715. A rear lean-to, added later in the eighteenth century, gives the house a saltbox shape. A later owner was James Goodrich Palmer (Jimmy Palmer), who lived in the house for twenty years and made cheese in the second floor bedroom. The house is now a bed & breakfast.
Although built circa 1734, the house at 700-712 Main Street in Branford has been much altered with Queen Anne-style elements. It was built by Ephraim Parish, Jr. and was known as the Old Parish Tavern. In 1811 the building was renovated by Rev. Timothy Gillett, who resided there until his death in 1866. Rev. Gillett was pastor of the First Church of Branford for 59 years and founded Branford Academy in 1820. Today the building contains offices and one residential unit.
Samuel Parmelee (or Parmalee) was a mariner in Branford who built the Federal-style cottage now at 41 Bradley Street in 1804 (it may have been moved from an original location at 259 Main Street, c. 1900). Samuel Parmelee drowned in Long Island Sound in 1813.