The oldest parts of the house of Captain John Latimer, on Main Street near Wethersfield Cove, date to around 1690. The house is right next door to the Captain Samuel Latimer House. The John Latimer House is currently for sale.
The David Hills House in Wethersfield was built in 1822 and is transitional between the Federal and Greek Revival styles. The house, located on Main Street, was built as a gift for the 1822 wedding of Amelia Talcott and Maj. David Hills. Interestingly, Hills’ second wife was also named Amelia Talcott.
The Wellington MacDonough House, which faces Broad Street Green in Wethersfield, is a Colonial Revival home inspired by the many Colonial structures in Wethersfield’s Historic District. It was built in 1937 on a site once occupied by the house of John Chester, which stood until 1869. The property had also been owned by Franklin Comstock, of Comstock, Ferre & Co.
The Warner Homestead, on Middletown Ave in Wethersfield, was built in the 1740s or 1750s. In 1788, the house was left by William Warner to his son, also named William. Sold to a nephew in 1813, it remained in the Warner family until 1890. It was restored in the 1970s, when a later front porch and asbestos roof shingles were removed.
The Queen Anne-style house of Joshus Adams, on Church Street in Wethersfield, features wood shingles and a sunburst pattern in the front gable. Generations of the Adams family of Wethersfield were involved in various forms of woodworking: Josha Adams was the great-great grandson of Amasa Adams, who owned a half-interest in the Chester Mill, afterward known as Adams Mill, at Mill Woods (PDF).
On the east side of Broad Street Green in Wethersfield are several houses built by members of the Bulkeley family. The earliest is that of Captain Charles Bulkelkey. Another Bulkeley home is the Italiante-style house built around 1850 by Stephen Bulkeley. The Greek Revival home of his father, Frederick Bulkeley, is next door.
Griswoldville is a section of Wethersfield. In the nineteenth century, when the weather was bad, residents of the area often had to contend with a difficult journey to reach First Church for Sunday services. In 1872, a chapel and Sunday school building was constructed to serve Griswoldville. Men and oxen hauled the stones used for the foundation from Cromwell. In 1880, a Ladies Chapel Society was founded, which supported the chapel by holding various events to raise money.