Beardsley Hall, located just west of the Monroe Congregational Church on Monroe Green, was built in 1887 as the church’s first parish hall. Today, it is home to the Mustard Seed Thrift Shoppe, a non-profit secondhand store owned and operated by the church.
Construction began in 1802 on St. Peter’s Episcopal Church on the Green in Monroe. The Federal-style church, completed in 1807, has been attributed by J. Frederick Kelly to the architect David Hoadley, who designed a number of churches in Connecticut. The Episcopal church building, the oldest in Monroe, was raised for additional space in the 1920s. Read the rest of this entry »
Located at 31 Great Ring Road in Monroe, the Eliot Beardsley Homestead is colonial saltbox house, built around 1760. In 1993, it was purchased from the Town of Monroe by the Monroe Historical Society, which has been restoring the house as a living history museum and research library.
At the corner of East Village and Barn Hill Roads in Monroe is Connecticut’s oldest Methodist church. Built around 1811, the East Village Meeting House is now owned by the Monroe Historical Society. The restored Meeting House is now used for various community events.
At 172 Old Tannery Road, across from the Monroe Center Green, is a house built in the 1780s by Isaac Moss. The building’s southwest wing was once a separate building and served as a general store and post office from the later eighteenth century through the 1940s, by which time a gas station, since removed, was located out front. The Moss-Clark General Store, which was run by Marshall Beach in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, was attached to the Moss House in 1896. The house has had some changes made to it over the years, including the addition and later removal of a large veranda and the removal of two large chimneys in the 1890s, torn out at the request of Mrs. Beach due to fears of a potential chimney fire.