Adjacent to the Congregational Church in Andover is the Congregational Chapel. According to the nomination for the Andover Center Historic District, it was built c. 1860, but the Town of Andover’s website calls it the Conference House and explains that it was built not long after the neighboring church, which was erected in 1833. The Conference House was constructed with timbers and other materials salvaged from the church’s first meeting house, built c. 1748. A versatile building, it was used for public meetings, elections and the local court until the Town Hall was built in 1893; as the town’s library from 1882 to 1927; as a town schoolhouse from 1888 to 1903; and as a meeting place for The Grange and other local organizations.
The Greek Revival house at 55 Hebron Road in Andover was built in 1840 by John F. Bingham (1808-1844). The Bingham family were descendants of Eleazar Bingham, who purchased land in Andover in 1750 that passed to his grandson, Cyrus Bingham. John F. Bingham was the nephew of Cyrus (he was the son of Cyrus’ brother Harvey Bingham). He received a farm where he built his house and also had a sawmill on Straddle Brook. He also served as Justice of the Peace.
At the Corner of Hebron Road and Center Street in Andover is a house built by Elijah House in 1784. Elijah House (1745-1823), descended from a prominent family from Rhode Island, is said to have been bankrupted after lending money to the French soldiers encamped in Lebanon during the Revolutionary War in 1781, but rebounded enough to build his house in Andover three years later. House was a merchant who inherited his father John House‘s property in Hebron and Coventry in 1801. On his land, Elijah House had a merchant shop, a slaughterhouse, soap-making equipment and a paper mill. He leased his operations to his son, Simon, in 1815. The house has been much altered over the years.
According to the barn survey information at Historic Barns of Connecticut, the barn at 41 Hebron Road in Andover dates to 1780. An English side-entry barn, it was moved to its current address from further up the road. Its owner dismantled and rebuilt it in 1998 to reflect its original period. The nomination for the Andover Center Historic District dates the barn to c. 1850. The barn is associated with the Phelps-Bingham House, a colonial house across the street.
The Andover Ecclesiastical Society was officially formed in 1748, when it also settled its first pastor, Rev. Samuel Lockwood, who served until his death in 1791. Once the Society was established, construction began on a meeting house on what is now Hebron Road, which took twenty years to complete (although it began to be in use before it was finished). A new church was built in 1832-1833, which was later renovated in 1869. The First Congregational Church was much expanded with a new addition in 1958.