Abel Shepard was a shipbuilder who had a shipyard near the landing in Middle Haddam. He had three sons, Abel, Jr., Bartlett and Harry, who followed him in the shipbuilding trade and constructed Federal-style homes for themselves on their father’s property. Bartlett‘s House, at 112 Moodus Road, was built around 1800 and has a Colonial Revival front portico, which was added later.
At 58 Moodus Road in Middle Haddam, East Hampton is a house built between 1780 and 1786 for a sea captain named Elijah Johnson. The house is built into the side of a slope and has original foundation walls on two sides.
The building which now houses the Middle Haddam Public Library was originally built as a store by Cyrus Bill and Daniel Tracy. Tracy was a master carpenter who also owned a shipyard. He soon left the partnership and was replaced by Seth Overton. The gambrel-roofed structure continued as a commercial establishment until 1825 and then became a residence. In 1908, it was donated by Delia Rounds to the library committee.
Read the rest of this entry »
Edward M. Simpson, who lived in Middle Haddam at Knowles Landing, was a steamboat captain and pilot on the Connecticut River in the mid-nineteenth century. His daughter, Harriet M. Brainerd, was married to Edward R. Brainerd, a marble dealer in Chicago. The couple built a summer house near her father’s home in Middle Haddam in 1886. At the time, Knowles Landing was a destination for tourists and steamboats would dock at the landing. Harriet Brainerd built a Steamboat Dock House in the early 1890s to replace an earlier structure, built in the 1860s. Later used as a residence, this boat house burned down in the 1980s, but the Queen Anne-style Harriet M. Brainerd House (pdf) survives, displaying Victorian-era features, like the decorative stickwork on the front veranda. Read the rest of this entry »
As requested, the octagon house built for Henry S. Smith in 1855 is located at the dead end of Bevin Boulevard in East Hampton. Smith was the son of Nathaniel C. Smith, who represented his town six times in the Connecticut General Assembly and served as town clerk for twenty-five successive years. The house, which has a porch and a later ell, has been owned by the Clark family since around 1900.
The Deming Sexon House is an octagon house on Middletown Avenue in East Hampton. The house appears to have two floors in the picture above, but on the other side the house’s basement is exposed and has windows, revealing that it actually has three floors.