The house at 264 Court Street in Middletown was built in 1873-1874 on land that had once been part of the Russell Estate. The house was built by John and Maria Haskell and remained in the Haskell family until 1921. John Haskell was a partner in Willard & Haskell, a company that dealt in lumber and manufactured sash, blinds and doors. From 1921 to 1933, the house was owned by Mary T. Vinal and then by Sebastian Pappalardo. Since 1958, the house has been owned by Wesleyan University and used as faculty housing.
The Alfred G. Hull House, at 58-60 Boston Street in Guilford, was built in 1849 with an Italianate flat roof. A French Second Empire mansard roof was added to the house around 1860. According to an obituary in The American Stationer, Vol. XXXV, No. 6, February 8, 1894:
Alfred G. Hull, secretary and treasurer of the American Copying Paper Company, Windsor Locks, Conn., died at the residence of Henry E. Pratt, his son-in-law, at Springfield, Mass., January 31, and was buried at Guilford, Conn., on Saturday last. Mr. Hull had passed through a siege of grip, when he was attacked by pneumonia, which ended his life. Alfred G. Hull was born in Clinton Conn., and was seventy-one years of age, and had spent his life in the lumber business, retiring from active business about ten years ago. Later he became secretary and treasurer of the company of which his son-in-law is president. He was treasurer of the town of Guilford for a number of years, was also justice of the peace for a long term, and for the last twenty-eight years had been a member of the Third Congregational Church of Guilford. He was widely known, and was as widely esteemed and respected.
Now owned by the neighboring Middlesex Hospital, the brick Second Empire-style house at 49 Crescent Street in Middletown was built in 1873 by George R. Finley. From Clinton, Finley moved to Middletown in 1847 and became a prosperous merchant, owning a grocery store, a cigar store and a restaurant. His widow Rachael lived in the house after his death in 1885.
The Frank H. Tillinghast House, at 30 Main Street in Plainfield’s Central Village, was built around 1870. Frank Howard Tillinghast was a leading merchant in Plainfield. According to the 1889 History of Windham County, Connecticut, by Richard M. Bayles,
Frank H. Tillinghast, son of [Judge] Waldo Tillinghast, was born in 1860 in Plainfield. Mr. Tillinghast was educated at the Plainfield Academy and at Schofield’s Business College of Providence. He had charge of a store for his father at Packerville about two years prior to 1883. In October of that year he, in company with Mr. Palmer, purchased the goods in the Company store at Central Village, and it was run as Tillinghast & Palmer until July, 1886. At that time Palmer retired. and Mr. Tillinghast has since been alone. He was married in 1882 to Annie M., daughter of Olney Dodge. He is a republican and a member of Moosup Lodge, No. 113, F. & A. M.
On Jan. 5, 1887, he was joined in a partnership with his brother, Fred W., the firm now being F.H. & F.W. Tillinghast. The business is assuming mammoth proportions, and the energetic partners are constantly expanding and covering new lines. In addition to a most complete and well arranged general stock, the firm now carry a well selected stock of furniture and carpets, curtains, and furnishings. In 1896 Mr. Tillinghast bought out the undertaking business of E.M. Anthony, at Jewett City, and since then he not only keeps a representative at that place but controls the business in Central Village. […] Mr. Tillinghast is prominent in both business and social circles in Central Village and locality, and is looked upon as one of the leading factors in the progress and development of his section. Energetic, progressive and public-spirited, his influence for the public good is felt in many directions; while his personal qualifications make him one of the most esteemed citizens of his town.
The house at 290 Prospect Street in Willimantic was built in 1888 for Samuel E. Amidon, a successful grocery store owner. After Amidon’s death, the house had other owners. In 1984 it was purchased by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Norwich. Called Newman Hall, it is now the Catholic Office of Campus Ministry for members of the Eastern Connecticut State University community. According to the Commemorative Biographical Record of Tolland and Windham Counties (1903):
The Twichell-Ward House is an eclectic Victorian residence at 78 West Street in Plantsville, Southington. Built in 1863, the house has elements of the Second Empire, Gothic and Stick styles of architecture.
Henry White built the house at 33 Pleasant Street in Middletown, which faces South Green, around 1870. White was in the coal business. As described in The Leading Business Men of Middeltown, Portland, Durham and Middlefield (1890):
The [coal] business now conducted by Mr. Levi S. Deming was founded many years ago by Mr. H. S. White, who was succeeded about 1860 by Messrs. White & Loveland, who gave place to Messrs. Loveland & Deming in 1871. In 1878 the firm-name became White & Deming, and in 1887 the present proprietor [Deming] (who is a native of Newington, Conn.) assumed sole control.
White was also a president of the Victor Sewing Machine Company, which was in business from 1864 to 1883. In 1895, Orrin E. Stoddard purchased the house from the heirs of Henry White. Stoddard was a partner with George Thomas Meech (they had served in the Civil War together) in a grocery business, Meech & Stoddard. According to the Encyclopedia of Connecticut Biography (c. 1917), “Besides dealing in grain, the establishment has long conducted a milling business and does both wholesale and retail trades throughout the New England territory and in other sections.” In 1927, the house was acquired by the Masons and is now home to St. John’s Lodge No. 2. The Masons added a large addition to the rear of the house.